Golf – “Blue Chip” Improvement Strategies

Golf – “Blue Chip” Improvement Strategies

December 2, 2011 Uncategorized 0

Improving your golf game can be hard work – it pays to maximize the returns on the efforts you invest. With that in mind, here are three “blue chip” improvement strategies that you should look into.

1) Book Some TrackMan Time OK, I put this one at the top of my list since I happen to be a TrackMan owner – just like Darren Clarke, Justin Rose, Martin Kaymer, Ian Poulter and Dustin Johnson, among others. Expensive? Yes. Good value? Worth. Every. Penny.

My bias not withstanding, TrackMan is nothing short of a revolution in golf swing analysis and instruction. Teaching golf for a living is not exactly a license to print money, so I was definitely not acting on impulse when I decided to invest $20000 + in a TrackMan. I did a lot of research and I felt it was the best tool available for golf swing analysis – it’s accurate, intuitive and versatile, with applications for virtually any level of player.

Things that make you go hmmm…

TrackMan is not a “video game”, a golf simulator or a toy. It’s a serious diagnostic tool that delivers accurate, bottom-line information about club delivery and ball flight. No, TrackMan doesn’t hit the shots for you – it simply tells you, objectively, what your club was doing at impact. Despite the old-schoolers dogged contention, analyzing divots and the flight of the ball simply cannot answer this question: “What is your club doing at the moment of impact?” TrackMan can. It’s simple: Guess? Or measure?


2) Get into a Fitness Program  Here’s a classic “no pain, no gain” scenario. Just like your golf swing itself, when it comes to fitness, you need to commit to a strong follow-through. In a busy world, this is not always easy but if you have decided to make golf improvement a priority in your life, you will find the time. Exercise does tend to be habit-forming, but overdoing it can lead to injury and the accompanying frustration, discouragement and maybe even time away from the course. Start small and build a base. Squeezing in a couple brisk walks a week is good for body, mind and spirit. Check out a yoga class. Pump a little iron. Keep that body moving!

3) Equipment Optimization Getting your clubs properly fitted is 90% of equipment optimization but digging into the finer points of fitting is a whole ‘nother post. For the purposes of this discussion, I want to talk about the other 10%. Things like using the right ball for your game. Having the right weather gear – technical layers for warmth and windproofing; waterproof outer layer and umbrella for the real nasty days. Extra gloves, hat, toque, mitts, rain gloves, extra towels in the bag – or at least on standby in a place where you can find them – for the days when you’ll need them. Handwarmers. The sundry items -sunglasses, lip balm, sunscreen, insect repellent, sharpie marker, spike wrench and replacement spikes for your type of shoes, band-aids, athletic tape, swiss army knife. Pain reliever. Extra socks. Allergies? Carry what you might need. Drops for eyes that get dry and irritated in the wind… Sounding like overkill? It’s not; in fact this list could go on – and any of these items could turn a tough day around. Equipment optimization = being prepared. Being prepared = best chance for success; it’s well worth the time to set up your bag and locker with all the essentials.

And there you have it… three “must-have/must-do” blue chip investment strategies for improving your game. Lots of bang for your buck here. Check ’em out and make a plan for lower scores.